Application period now closed.
Arbeiter Ring Publishing was founded as a workers’ collective in 1996 and began publishing a few left-of-centre and Marxist-leaning books each year. It is now Arbeiter Ring Publishing Ltd. (operating as ARP Books) and has grown into a respected book publisher offering a bold combination offering eclectic and engaging writing.
Our mandate is to publish a dynamic combination of non-fiction, literary fiction, essay, poetry, and other writing that cannot be constrained by genre categories while encouraging innovative new writing.
We work to serve as an amplifier for some of the most exciting contemporary literary and academic writings on Indigenous issues, environmental issues, politics, social justice, activism, art, poetry, fiction, and importantly the ways that these subjects intersect.
We believe the written word can change the world, one reader at a time. We strive to publish books that challenge, assist, entertain, and provoke. Join us.
About the role
ARP Books is seeking a Marketing and Promotion Intern to join our three-person publishing team. We have a collegial working style and can offer some flexibility in working hours.
This position has a diversity focus. Therefore we are seeking applicants from historically underrepresented people in our community and in the publishing business, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, people of colour, and persons with disabilities.
This is a one-year contract position at four days per week (Mon–Thurs) with occasional work outside of traditional office hours. This is considered an entry level position and reports to the Executive Editor. The target start date for this position is late August 2022.
The salary for this position is $35K/year.
We are returning to a hybrid model of remote and in-person work, so we are considering local candidates only.
- Knowledgeable about progressive social movements and familiar with the types of books we publish as well as the wider political conversations they are part of;
- Excited about the opportunity to work with activist authors and readers;
- Experienced in working collaboratively.
This position will primarily focus on marketing and publicity but is also designed for the incumbent to gain exposure to the Canadian small press publishing.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist with the planning and implementation of comprehensive marketing and promotion plans for all frontlist ARP titles;
- Assist with the creation of promotional and marketing materials;
- Assist with updating title information on the ARP website;
- Assist with the preparation, distribution and maintenance of accurate and robust metadata for frontlist and backlist titles;
- Attend sales conferences, trade shows, professional development sessions, and publishing industry events;
- Coordinate paid ad placements;
- Assist with general and title-specific marketing activities and initiatives, including seasonal promotions, mailouts, Mailchimp newsletters, blog posts, social media, and external partnerships;
- Some moving of heavy boxes may be required in this position.
The following requirements are guidelines only. If you don’t satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed, but have relevant or transferrable experience that makes you a great fit, we encourage you to apply.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs;
- Strong writing ability;
- Graphic design experience;
- Effective communication skills;
- Excellent organization and planning skills;
- The ability to juggle competing tasks and demanding deadlines;
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
Nice to have
- Experience with any or all of the following: Biblioshare, BNC Catalist, Edelweiss, CoreSource, Ebound, NetGalley, Mailchimp, WordPress
- Familiarity with ONIX metadata and basic HTML/XML;
- Publishing industry experience.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single document in PDF format to email@example.com by August 15, 2022. Please include “Marketing and Promotion Intern” in the subject line.
Interviews will be conducted over Zoom.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.